Margaret Domnick - The Inside Story...

I'm a woman, mother, friend, sister, daughter, wife and partner in crime. I'm spontaneous, anal, loud, loving, funny (or at least I think I am), and generally honest. Sometimes I get these thoughts... so I've created this blog to share them. Feel free to respond, but be kind...did I mention that I'm sensitive?



Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Recap - Courage Classic Bike Ride

I know you’ve all been waiting to hear how the Ride went…so, here’s the scoop! It's kind of long, but it was a three day ride...

It was cool the first morning of the ride. I had borrowed arm and leg warmers (didn’t even know they existed for riders until a week or so beforehand) and had them on with my riding shorts, jersey and wind jacket. I felt kind of funny since nothing matched, but hey, I was warm. So, everyone was parking their bikes and walking around near the start, so I parked my bike too and followed someone to see what might be happening and found myself at the port-a-potty. I laughed, then went, then looked for someone I recognized.

I found a small group of “Gene Teamers” and hung by them. We took some pictures, waited for a few other people, then grabbed our bikes and headed to the start. It was much more casual than I had expected, but hey, this was a RIDE, not a RACE, so I guess casual is perfect.

The ride started on a downhill, and I reached 29mph quickly and was hooked! I was freezing, but I laughed and hooted and smiled anyway and soaked it all in. The mountains were all around me, the trees were gorgeous, and the air was crisp. I felt like I was a character in a book “…she flew down the hill on her bike, hair flailing behind her, the wind smacking her face as she peddled faster and faster…” It was an amazing moment that I will always remember. “This is it”, I told myself, “and I love it!”

I knew that I had two big climbs before lunch. As I began the first ascent, I felt strong. I passed a person, then another, “this isn’t so bad”. I felt my legs tighten and my speed shorten, but it was still good. The climb lasted about 6 minutes or so and when I got to the top I thought “one down, one to go”, but it really wasn’t one of the climbs; it was just a little starter hill. When I got to the first real climb, I understood why the first one was a hill. I conquered Tennessee Pass and was pleased. But on Battle Mountain, the second climb, I wasn’t so impressive. I started strong, but it was so steep! I stopped several times (OK, five) to stretch my quads, drink water, and catch my breath. Every new start felt good and eventually, I got to the top. My team was waiting for me up there :) and I was only about a minute behind the last of them. Not too shabby! We rode 36 miles before lunch, and I was tired.

Lunch was fun. Hundreds of bikes parked and/or laying on the ground (most road bikes don’t have kickstands). I learned not to lay my bike on the gears, nice to know. Everyone hung out on the grass eating sandwiches and pasta salad, talking about the morning challenges, seeing faces from previous rides and introducing new friends. I loved it. I felt like I belonged and no one knew I was an imposter. Everyone discussed the “worst part of the ride” coming up after lunch, Vail Pass. I was sore and tired and worried. A few other riders were lined up for the SAG van; a ride to the next aid station. They convinced me to join them, understanding that stopping five times on Battle Mountain, a three mile uphill, didn’t bode well for success at Vail Pass, an eighteen mile uphill! I gave in and rode the Sag, but I regretted it. THINKING I needed to Sag and actually NEEDING it is not really the same thing. I should have tried. I’m OK with failing much more than not trying. Lesson learned…I will attempt Vail next year!

Well, I picked up at the very next stop, completed the rest of that day's miles and finished strong. Crossing the first day finish was fun, although I didn’t really feel like I deserved it, since I skipped part of the ride.

Day two also started out cool and crisp. I had my mismatched leg and arm warmers and wind jacket on. We started with a long, crazy fun, cold downhill. I left Wichita in 112 degree heat, so the 59 degree temp was refreshing. I maxed out at 34mph before hitting my breaks out of fear. I rode alongside a new friend and asked her many biking questions. I learned about “feathering” my breaks instead of “riding” them, and I learned how to ride downhill in the highest gear for more control that allowed for continued peddling. Honestly, I really didn’t know much about my gear capabilities or techniques before that point…imposter! In fact, before that conversation, I laughed at the riders peddling on the downhills, wondering why they weren’t just coasting along like me. Suddenly, I was a peddler and I liked it!

After a Chinese lunch (I usually love it, but not on a bike ride. I chose the PB&J option) we headed out. The afternoon promised more uphill riding. I watched the other bikers pass me when I pulled over to stretch, drink, and rest, and I saw that they were all breathing hard and riding slow too. Everyone was struggling, but they didn’t stop. I figured out that getting up the mountain slopes required mental toughness; not my strongpoint. “I will not stop again”, I told myself, “I can do this”. And off I went… The very next climb was an eight mile stretch. I began shifting down as needed and got myself into a little cadence and worked hard to hold it. “I will not stop” I repeated over and over. I couldn’t look up the mountain, because it just kept getting steeper and steeper and longer and longer. I started finding rocks just a few feet in front of me and I’d ride to the rock…then the next rock…and the next. I rode rock-to-rock most of the miles and felt FANTASTIC when I reached the summit! Ok, my body was sore and tired and jelly-like, but my brain was screaming with joy!! I was able to maintain an average speed of 7mph and got to the top in about an hour; that's an hour of riding all uphill! I continued riding more miles to the finish and went through feeling proud and accomplished. Then I learned that The Gene Team always waited for each other to finish together; so I walked my bike back out, waited for the Team, and went through the finish again – and it was more fun with everyone else (side note: I left lunch earlier than the others, so they wouldn’t have to wait for me…but since I didn’t stop on the big hill, I stayed ahead of them).

I looked forward to the last day of the ride, for a couple reasons. One, it was the last day of the ride, and Two, I felt stronger both physically and mentally and was excited to begin my journey up Freemont Pass; a 12 mile uphill at the very start of the day. I rode by my condo and my family was standing outside hootin’ and hollerin’ as I went by. Then I turned the corner and started the morning climb. This ride was on the highway, making me nervous because I’d not even trained on the road, let alone the highway. And, there was construction too, making the ride more treacherous. I put all of that out of my mind and focused on the task at hand. I did great the first 5 miles and stopped at the aid station with my teammates. We quickly took off again not wanting to get “cold” for the next 7, more steep, miles. I got into my groove and held my own for quite a while. My legs were kind of numb, but I kept on moving. I distracted myself with the gorgeous scenery, tried my rock-to-rock technique, and even prayed part of the Rosary. I had to pay careful attention to the road because there was a lot of loose gravel and big divots to avoid. At one point I pulled over, weak and broken, and thought I’d walk my bike for a while. I went exactly 6 steps. “I can do this”, I told myself, “I am strong, I am good, and I can do this!” I heard someone say “only five to go” as they rode by and I got back on my bike and started to ride. I repeated my mantra over and over “I am strong, I am good, and I can do this” breathe, breathe, “I am strong, I am good, and I can do this”… and I did! I was on top of the world when I reached the top of that mountain. I OWNED Freemont Pass! Never mind that it took me a total of 2 HOURS to get there, I was at the top and happy with my accomplishment. We waited for the others, took pictures, laughed and patted backs, grabbed oranges and bananas, hung out, enjoyed the beauty of the summit, and prepared for the downhill.

And, that downhill was A-MAZ-ING! I hit 37mph before “feathering” my brakes and even took a picture as I whizzed by some gorgeous scenery (not smart at that speed, but it was SO pretty). There were more uphill climbs that day, some as steep (or steeper) than Freemont Pass, but none as long; and I did fine with all of them.

I don't know exactly how many miles I covered this weekend, well over 100, but what I do know is that it changed me. I began this ride as the mother of a child with PKU who wanted to participate in a bike ride to raise money for her son’s clinic. I emerged from this ride a biker; and a stronger, more focused woman.

And, during my week in Colorado I also went white water rafting, rode the ski lift, explored the mountains, shopped, and hung out with my hubby and kids. I’d say it was a perfect week!

Margaret

2 comments:

  1. So glad to read about the ride. I guess I will find out if you did it again. I used to love cycling and not really liking running but through the years so many friends have been met running that I now have my bike up on a trainer in my bedroom and only ride it a couple times a month. I miss those wind in my hair times you described.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great page!!! My dad started bis own Blog and is doing a lot for it. He bikes the best trails and Mountainbike-Mekkas, takes photos and writes about it. Would be great if you cold check it out…Visit for more.

    ReplyDelete