Margaret Domnick - The Inside Story...

I'm a woman, mother, friend, sister, daughter, wife and partner in crime. I'm spontaneous, anal, loud, loving, funny (or at least I think I am), and generally honest. Sometimes I get these thoughts... so I've created this blog to share them. Feel free to respond, but be kind...did I mention that I'm sensitive?



Friday, December 10, 2010

Blessed to Have Choices

As I sit here warm and safe, full and lazy, healthy and blessed, I think of others who may not be so comfortable. At night, before I go to bed, I check in on my kids. I pull the sheets up around their sweet, sleeping faces, kiss their foreheads and offer a quick prayer of thanksgiving. My children sleep on clean sheets, dream under warm blankets, and are surrounded by love and laughter. I think about the kids who put themselves to bed each night, maybe with a full belly, maybe not; maybe safe and happy, maybe not; maybe sleeping comfortably; maybe not. I always feel a twinge of guilt. My blessings are right in front of me, but I tend to focus my energy on other things, and I allow those things to have control over me.

I complain about unimportant events and make big deals out of little issues. I feel slighted if I pay for a meal, but don’t enjoy it. I get impatient if my TV show gets interrupted. I use sarcasm with my family and friends. I stress over insurance, instead of feeling blessed to have it; I lull over important decisions, instead of feeling blessed to have choices; I wish to take back quick-spoken comments, instead of feeling blessed, knowing that I speak my truth.

So, I’m taking this holiday season to re-focus, to remember what is important to me; what really matters. I will work on patience and acceptance, on being honest with others and with myself, and on being a positive influence on the people I meet. My goal is to begin each day with a more positive, focused perspective. When I’m old and gray (no snickering here, I know I’m already gray), I want to feel peace, knowing that I enjoyed my life the best I could. I want to look back and be pleased with my place in this world. It often comes down to choices, and we control what we choose.

Margaret

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marge! I love reading your blog! It's like I get to have conversations with you even when I don't get to see you :)

    I have to tell you that I share many of your thoughts here and wish I did not allow myself to overreact to the little things as well. One thing I have found so helpful is to begin my day with some alone time with God. I used to pray at night, but I was so tired that I would often fall asleep. Now I have a more intentional time with Him before I do anything else, and that helps set the tone for my response to different things throughout the day. As you said, we can control what we choose. For me, it has been easier to make choices that please God when I'm more focused on Him. That's not to say that I do not stumble all the time, but hopefully I am improving little by little. Love you, Margie! Miss you, Mike, and the kids. Tell them hi for me,
    Love,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I'm sharing it... :)

    ReplyDelete